The recent Coronavirus outbreak has had an effect on every company around the UK. While companies are furloughing staff, business owners have an increasing amount of administration they must undertake to apply for government loans and assistance. Companies House have recognised the increased burden this is placing on business owners and have introduced temporary measures to ease the burden. There are a number of measures you can take to ensure your documents are filed on time.

File Documents Electronically

Companies House have measures in place to protect their employees which include operating with a reduced work force. This has caused delays with processing applications and they have currently postponed all same day services. In addition to this there are currently delays with processing documents received by post. To ensure you complete Companies House filing requirements on time it is advised to submit documents electronically using their web filing portal.  This is the fastest method to submit documents. Companies House will also notify you by email to confirm when they have been accepted.

Apply for an extension to filing Company accounts

If your company has been affected by the Coronavirus outbreak and this will prevent you from filing your annual accounts before the deadline you can apply for an extension. This will be subject to a review by Companies House and you will have to provide further details. You can apply for the extension online and will need to provide the following details:

  • Your company registration number.
  • Information why you can’t file the document on time and why you require the extension.
  • If you have any documents supporting your request these should also be submitted.

Companies House will then review each application and provide their decision. An extension is not guaranteed for every company and only exceptional circumstances will be granted an extension.

Small Firms Services can assist with filing a variety of company documents electronically. If you require assistance with filing a document not mentioned on our website contact us to confirm if it is a service we can provide.