How to Fix Mistakes In Your Company Formation

/, Company Formation, Document Filing/How to Fix Mistakes In Your Company Formation

How to Fix Mistakes In Your Company Formation

Realising you have made a mistake when forming your company may be frustrating. You can take solace in the fact that more often than not, these errors are easily remediable. We can tell you from experience that it is not uncommon for errors to be made when forming a company online. This guide will outline how to fix some of the most common mistakes.

Company Name

Your company name will be the first thing your future clients will see so it is imperative it is correct. UK companies can change their company name at any point via filing form NM01 either online or by post with Companies House.

It is important to note that all name changes are recorded publically on the Companies House register and this information is readily available. If you don’t want any name change history associated with your company the alternative option would be to apply for the erroneous company to be struck off the register and to then form a brand new company with the correct name. Please visit our web page for more information on changing a company name.

Registered Office Address

Changing or correcting the registered office following the formation of your company is a simple case of filing form AD01. Form AD01 is a basic form that only requires the company number, company name and the new registered office address. This document can be completed and filed by post or online at Companies House using their web filing service.

Director’s details

Errors in a director’s name, nationality or address can be easily fixed with form CH01. These changes can be made online via the Companies House Web filing service or via filing this form by post. Please visit our guide for more information on changing a director’s details.

This process, however, cannot be used to fix an incorrect date of birth. If you have entered an incorrect date of birth you can amend this by terminating the director with form TM01. You will then need to reappoint the director with form AP01. Both of these forms can be backdated to the date of incorporation.

Share capital

Your liability is Limited to the total value of the Company’s share capital. It is therefore important that this information is correct.

If too few shares have been issued you can increase the share capital by filing form SH01. You can then issue the new shares accordingly.

Shareholders of a company are entitled to a share of the profits and can have various voting rights within the company. Shareholders are not always directors and vice versa. Changing the shareholders of a company post-formation can be achieved by completing a stock transfer form.  Companies House will be officially updated when the next Confirmation Statement is filed which has replaced the annual return. You can find more information on our guide to share transfers.

Prevention is better than the cure and double checking all of the information in your application is correct before submitting this can prevent future hassle, however you need not to worry too much if a mistake is made as minor errors are often easily resolved.

By |2019-02-19T13:37:05+00:00August 21st, 2015|Categories: Companies House, Company Formation, Document Filing|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment